Friday, April 6, 2018

Prompt Response Week 13

I want to start by saying that I love YA books. I love reading them for two reasons. One reason is because I am now a Youth Librarian, I want to read as many YA books as possible so I can do better RA for teens. The second reason is because there are many great YA books out there. If you love a particular genre, the main difference between and adult version of that genre and the teen version, in my opinion, is the age of the character, as well as content.

Graphic novels are great because in addition to reading, you get to look at the art presented in it. The experience of a graphic novel involves both the illustrations and text, which has inspired many teens at my library to want to do art. The same influence can happen on an adult. Graphic novels are generally short and sweet, and many are part of a series. If teens rather read this than traditional literature, then fine. If adults want to read this, I am for that, too. Some classic literature are in graphic novel format, as well as graphic novels on historical people and events, so if teens rather read that then who am I to stop them?

As librarians, we should encourage people to read. We already do not censor people from accessing information, so we should always be open and ready to help adults find whatever they want, even if that includes teen titles. Perhaps adults looking for teen novels are parents who want to see what kind of content is in books to see if their teen is ready to read it. One way I hope to allow adults to not feel weird while browsing teen titles is when my library undergoes renovation in the next few years, I want the teens to have their own enclosed hangout space, but have the teen titles outside of their space. This way, adults do not feel like they are intruding or feel awkward. If adults still feel awkward, I would approach them and help them like normal. I don’t want to give them an impression that I think it’s weird they are looking for teen books.

I personally love reading realistic YA fiction. I want to know what books are certain social issues are out there so that I can recommend them to teens who are in need of it. I also love reading graphic novels. Sometimes you need a quick read.

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea of moving ya books 'closer' to the greater collection, literally closing the difference gap between them and the rest of the library. It encourages adults that they are welcome to browse that section while also inviting the teens to browse the larger fiction collection. I also enjoyed how you mentioned you would still have to have a 'teen space' so they know they have a place they can go specifically designed for them still, even though their books may be a couple of steps further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said! I couldn't agree more with what Dustin said about your response. Full points!

    ReplyDelete