Monday, March 5, 2018

Book Club Experience

The benefit of working at a library and working on my MLS is that many assignments I work on correlate directly with what I do already, as well as ideas and projects I plan to do at the library. That being said, this assignment lined up with my ambition to start a book club for teens. I do not want to do a book club where everyone reads the same book. I prefer open book chats. You do not have to worry about reading a book you may not like. Most of the book clubs hosted by the library or advertised by the library are book chats that promote people discussing what they are reading rather than reading a single book. Open book chats also have the ability to feature books that you have never heard of before. There is a book club at a branch I used to work at hosted by patrons, and they usually do what is popular. This is of course great for those authors. As the article “Read Well with Others” by Bill Goldstein states, “a title popular with book groups has an extended life, and sales may even increase over time” (Goldstein). I rather hear about books I would never think to pick up or ever see lying around.

The book chat I participated at for this assignment was one of the library branches that hosts a book chat every first Monday of the month. I let the branch manager and book chat leader know I will be attending and that I wanted to shadow so I can learn how to set up a similar program for teens. I was told the majority of those who attend this book chat are retired women, and most are regulars to the book chat.

The person and leading the book discussion was a library assistant who worked at the branch. This book chat was different than her normal ones because she had a guest speaker from IU South Bend come and speak about a few of the books she has written. Because of this special guest, we did not get to the actual book chat until about 45 minutes later. It’s only an hour program but it went on for about 75 minutes due to the guest. However, the guest sparked much discussion among the attendees during her time. Besides asking about how the author wrote her books, they asked questions about the books themselves. A couple of the attendees had read the book and shared their thoughts on the book. One attendee mentioned how she loved the book because it tackles the issue of women not being allowed to have the voice they want, and that the book was such a fun, easy read. This sparked a mini discussion about this topic today.

            After the guest speaker was finished, the leader opened the floor to anyone who wanted to share what they have been reading. An awkward few seconds went by before anyone said anything. The first attendee to speak up discussed a recent novel by Jonathon Kellerman. Another attendee who also recently read a few of his books chimed in, and somewhat overpowered the discussion. After the discussion on that first book was over, that same patron who overpowered the discussion said, “Well, since I am talking I guess I’ll go next.” She mentioned how, besides also reading Kellerman, she read a book called Pax by Sara Pennypacker. She said she purchased it thinking it was an adult novel, but later realized it was for kids. I was delighted to hear this because this is a book I read back in S571 Materials for Youth. I was able to chime in by saying I also read it, as well as what I thought about the book. I was worried I would have nothing to add to the discussion since I am not a huge reader at the moment. I followed up by mentioning another great children’s book for adults is The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. This same women at the end of the book chat also asked if anyone read The Women in the Window by A.J. Finn. Again, I was excited to hear this because I just read that book for this class two month ago! She asked me if it was worth finishing, to which I replied that it was because the intensity builds and it will be made into a movie, so it’s great to read it now before everyone else starts to read it.

The leader was very good about moving the discussion along, asking if anyone else had a book to share. When the guest speaker was there, I could tell the leader did her best to wrap up her time because she did speak longer than the leader had planned. Of the 10 or so people there, about 7 participated. I noticed that everyone did not bring a book to discuss, so I imagine people come to listen to what others are reading. As Bill Goldstein states, “clubs have become a potent network, organized loosely by their shared need for information about the books they are reading and for suggestions on what to read next” (Goldstein 32). I heard interesting stories about several books that I probably never would have heard about or considered.

 The leader participated when she had something to add, but she let people freely discuss whatever was presented. People mainly spoke about what they liked about the book they brought to discuss, and people agreed or disagreed with their statement. It was all very friendly even if someone did not like a book mentioned. That being said, the atmosphere was extremely friendly and stress-free. You can tell these women got to know each other through the book chat, and it was essentially a fun hangout.

Snacks and drinks are not provided at this book chat. However, she does have two tables set up as one long table to hold reading recommendations and library promotional materials. They appear to talk about any book, whether it’s fiction or nonfiction. The host takes notes about books discussed at the meeting, and then pulls a bunch of these books to be displayed at the next meeting. She also has a copy of her notes available for people to take home. Overall I had a great experience! When I complete my studies in May I hope to read more and to join a couple book discussions my library features.  

Works Cited

Goldstein, Bill. "Reads Well with Others." Publishers Weekly, vol. 252, no. 21, 23 May 2005, pp. 30-34. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=lxh&AN=17114088&site=ehost-live.

9 comments:

  1. I've never heard of doing this type of book club. Do you think this would work at every book club or would you do it say every other club meeting (saying you meet once a month)? I like this idea, I just don't think that I would like to do it all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most definitely think it will work every time. With open book chats, you have a better chance of hearing about new reads. With book clubs that read one single book and discuss, it's great for having a discussion. But, if you want to learn about new books, open book chats are best. It all depends on what you want to do more: Discuss more or learn about more books. Although, I would argue that open book chats could have a fair amount of worthy discussion.

      Delete
  2. Carter,

    I cannot agree more! I love the idea of these open book chats, and actually run a group like this online with FB for my library. Just a chance for interested patrons to share what they are reading, but don't have to feel obligated to be somewhere at a specific time or share when they don't have something in mind. Further, one of the book clubs that I run is genre based, rather than a specific book. Anyone in the group just needs to pick a book within the genre of that month, and have the chance to share with the others what they had read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of an open book chat. Whenever I tell someone that I work in the library field, they always want to have a conversation about what I like to read. Then, they start giving me suggestions. So I know that people are interested in this type of chat. I also agree with Mary that it isn't something I could see doing all the time. Perhaps time could be carved out at the end of a traditional book discussion for members to discuss what else they are reading. However, I can see that this might work better for the young adult crowd who would see traditional books discussions like homework instead of reading for their own enjoyment.

    Another benefit of open books chats would be that you can make a display or poster of the books that others suggested in the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carter,

    Wow,the book chat sounds like a great idea, especially for the teens! I think too much of a structured club, in that case, would sound more like school to them, and then they would not want to participate. At least in a book chat, they are all considered equal and there wouldn't be any feelings of "I have to read this book for homework." Did you find that attendance had been stronger with that style of book club?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A book chat sounds like an interesting idea. I think it would be a fun way to find new reads. I'll have to see if there is anything like this in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carter, I had never heard of such a thing and based on the comments you've received, I'm not alone! When I first started reading your post, I was thinking, "Now, how is this going to work?"...you know, with everyone chiming in about everything and nothing relates to anything...but then you talked about how glad you were that someone mentioned Pax (I read that too for S571 and loved it!) and that gave you an opportunity to jump in and participate.

    So, I guess I'm saying that the more you shared, the more interesting this sort of book club became to me. I especially liked the bit where the librarian takes notes about the books that were discussed so she can sit them out for next meeting's chat.

    I still think for me I would want some sort of theme for the month's chat. It could be a pretty loose theme...maybe not as loose as just saying "fiction" (!) but maybe something around an event such as International Women's Day that just passed. For example, the March chat could be about any book written by an accomplished woman or one about a strong woman character.

    Interesting! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds very familiar to the book club I observed, and I loved it. The laid back atmosphere and discussion of what everyone was reading really made it interesting and easier to decide what to put on my to-be-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you attended a book chat! I've thought of doing one because I think it's a great idea to promote ALL THE BOOKS and get loads of new reads. Great observations! Full points!

    ReplyDelete