Friday, February 2, 2018

Secret Shopper Assignment

I went to a local library system that I have a card for but I have never used it yet, so I know no one will recognize me. I decided I wanted to try a couple different librarians to see how similar they find books for patrons, but I also tried a few different methods of interacting with library staff. Because I work for a library, I had a sense of how my interactions could be. I anticipated them asking what I’ve read lately, what genres I normally look for, and what books I did not enjoy, etc.

The young librarian at the desk asked me what I was in the mood to read, to which I replied with “I don’t know exactly. I want something new to read though.” They walked me over to the new books, which felt like a way to abandon me there to find a book on my own, but they eventually took me back to the computer to find something. I can see they were using NoveList. They asked me what I read lately that I liked, and I replied with Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, as well as why I liked the book. They didn’t really ask me too many questions about what I want in a book. In the end, they suggested For The Win by Cory Doctorow. I later looked up Ready Player One on NoveList and noticed For the Win was the first title listed under read-alikes. However, looking at the reviews and description it was pretty much what I was looking for, so job well done I’d say! I still wonder if they looked at all the choices. I wish they had asked me more questions, as well as gave more of a reason as to why I should consider their suggestion.

I decided to hang around the library a while to see if I could ask someone else for suggestions. There was an older librarian roaming the stacks. I was in the science fiction section. They came up to me and asked if there is a specific book I was looking for today. I told them I was looking for a new science fiction book to read. They asked me what I have read lately, just like the last staff member had done. I told them I really enjoyed Ready Player One and why I loved it. Unlike the first time, I told this staff member I really enjoyed that Ready Player One appeals to a wide audience, meaning both people who grew up in the 1980s would enjoy the pop culture references, and it also appeals to video game lovers like myself. They looked at the shelf and I could tell they were looking for a specific book. They asked, “Do you mind sci-fi with a love story in it, or do you prefer mostly the epic action of the story?” I told them it does not matter to me. I commented how Ready Player One had a love story happening and I didn’t mind. They suggested The Impossible Fortress by Jason Rekulak. I liked this recommendation for a few reasons. Having used NoveList on many occasions, especially on the page for Ready Player One, I knew this book was listed as one of the read-alikes. Therefore, it was a relevant title. Second, this is the same book my former coworker, who I highly respect and consider the Yoda of Readers Advisory, suggested to me. I would definitely go back to this librarian for more suggestions. 

Although I had a great experience, as a patron, I prefer to stay away from in-person RA interviews. With an RA form filled out online or in person, I would like the librarian or RA committee to commit time and effort to finding relatable reads without being pressured too much or in a hurry (Hollands 211). The RA Committee at my library sends me RA forms to complete and I much prefer doing this than answering in-person questions (although I am happy to do both). With forms you can suggest various titles. Both librarians I spoke with only suggested one title each. Receiving one title feels more like a recommendation because this is the book they found for you. Suggesting more books is like saying, “I don’t know what you like exactly, but here are a few titles with bits of what you like.” Suggesting more shows you really thought hard about what the patron wants, and if they later read and find out these titles are close to what they wanted, they will come back to you.


Works Cited


Hollands, Neil. "Improving the Model for Interactive Readers' Advisory Service." Reference & User Services Quarterly 45.3 (2006): 205-12. ProQuest. Web. 2 Feb. 2018.

5 comments:

  1. So your library actually utilizes the RA form? We're considering implementing one, but the current draft is exceedingly long. I'm wary about the form (that we're working on) because if it's done in an online setting, without a committee or even a person to look at it, then there will be items missed that could be great, all because an algorithm picks up on one classification but not another. So many patrons come and ask me what I've read and enjoyed and would recommend (to which I have to steer them away from my interests, because I read weird obscure nonfiction and unless they're really into that, I'm sure I can find something else that would be more interesting for them by not looking at my own interests) because they want a personal recommendation. I think this is due to so much of our system being automated already, that there's a bit of a craving for human contact--and book recommendations seems to be the place for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a link to the one for my library if you'd like to see how we did it!
      http://sjcpl.lib.in.us/next-great-read

      Another tool we use regarding RA is a button we wear. We currently have buttons that say "Ask Me What I'm Reading!" and people ask me every other day. It's funny because any other button we wear for promotions get no response but this reading one is popular! I am usually reading something, but usually it's something no one would care about (in my opinion).

      Delete
  2. Dear Carter,
    I found it interesting that you decided to conduct an interview with more than one librarian. I thought that you were being rather intelligent at recognizing that some librarians might give different responses to the requests of library users or would be more skilled than other librarians at giving answers. I’m glad that the librarians that you encountered utilized NoveList, which is suitable for finding novels with specific qualities. The librarians that I conducted my interview with did not use NoveList at all, despite the fact that the librarians probably had access to a link to the tool on the Allen County Public Library’s website.
    I would guess that the first librarian probably didn’t look at all of the choices for similar titles to Ready Player One, since glancing through all of the choices would have consumed a lot of time for the librarian. I also agree that the librarian should have given you more questions and a better argument for selecting For The Win. It sounds like the first librarian settled for a comfortable and generic answer to your request, instead of a complicated and relevant answer. However, it seems that you were more satisfied with the second librarian’s significant answer. Also, I would agree that obtaining a more comprehensive selection of answers from a response to a reader’s advisory form is probably a better way of obtaining a book that you would actually desire.
    Personally, I find it surprising that you enjoyed Ready Player One, since you thought that it appealed to a wide audience. I would have not utilized that reason for my personal enjoyment of a novel for an interview. Also, the existence of pop culture references in a book are not important to me, unless they are incorporated skillfully into a book’s plot. Sometimes, pop culture references can break the immersion of storytelling in books, so I personally wouldn’t have cited pop culture references as a positive aspect of the book.
    It’s also interesting that you stated were a video game lover. I also like video games to an extent, but I am often cautious of their content and their meaning in relation to real life. Sometimes, video games are just too boring or irrelevant in relation to real life, despite their tendency to be fun for individuals to play. I think that one can become as obsessed with video games as much as reading certain kinds of books; it’s all a matter of mentally consuming content or challenging one’s mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like books that can have a wide appeal because sometimes I feel I read books that I believe most people won't care about. So it's nice to read something that can have a wide audience so I can recommend it to more people.

      Delete
  3. Great summary, and I too love that you approached more than one librarian to see how their tactics would differ. I think you learned great things from both and I'm glad you had a great experience!

    ReplyDelete