Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Prompt Response Week 7

In my experience I have found it hardest to talk about memoirs, biographies, and other “true stories,” especially books that talk about the lives of political figures. I have had many experiences where patrons chat about a recent political biography they’ve read, and they ask me things like “Can you believe what this person has done?!” It is awkward when these conversations begin because I must suppress all my biases and beliefs and remain professional. It isn’t hard for me to do so, but patrons give me a look that appears to say “Don’t you have an opinion?”

I also have patrons who get angered by memoirs, biographies, political biographies, asking us “Why do you have a book about this garbage man,” or “Why do you have this book? It is obvious what political beliefs you have!” Being a history major who has read quite a few political biographies, I understand that no one book is 100% true, but that can probably be said about many nonfiction titles.

The most recent example of these kinds of interactions came when “Fire and Fury” by Michael Wolff was released. The book is about the first year of President Trump’s time in office. When we announced on Facebook that we would be ordering extra copies due to extremely high demand, some people criticized us both online and in person, commenting that we are biased and they no longer have respect for us. The library contains and continues to order items that are controversial or biased, but that is because we allow books of all kinds and information. We promote the freedom to information and the freedom to read. It is unfortunate people are angry with us, but we are only doing our job. You cannot please everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Carter,

    You hit the nail on the head when you are taking about trying to censor our own opinions as librarians. Patrons either think that I am rude for not telling them what I think honestly, while others try everything they can to get me into a political or other controversial conversation. Especially our older patron population is just itching to get their opinions out there. Often if I decline to share my thoughts, it is chalked up as I am just to young to understand anyway. Comical really, but it is just a part of working with the public that I am slowly getting used to; you can't please everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate. Our library is an early voting site and last year the lines were long (sometimes a 2-3 hour wait.) It was during this time that several patrons (and some non-patrons) expressed their political views, all the while staring at us, expecting us to agree to disagree. It was HARD. This also happens at the Adult Reference Desk when it comes to books with a political sway. The best move I have is to smile and shrug. Lol. If anyone else has a better move, I'm all ears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great response! I, like your classmates, definitely agree! There is no way to please everyone. I forget where the quote comes from but I absolutely agree that "a good library should have something to offend everyone." Both sides should be present so people can make up their own minds because there is no way I every get political or personal which is definitely hard on election day as we're a voting site! Patrons were getting heated and can take it personally when you don't share your opinions with them! Full points!

    ReplyDelete